Unreadable codes in exported reports

support
Unreadable codes in exported reports user  2018-10-28
 

Dear Skyline team,

In skyline reports, there are unreadable codes in “quantification” of Peptide Ratio Results and “calibration curve” of Peptide Quantification report (see attached screenshots). I have the same problem in 5 PCs in our group, no matter the default language of them is English or Chinese. How to fix?

Thanks,
Antony

 
 
Brendan MacLean responded:  2018-10-28

Hi Antony,
So, you are saying that the rest of the Skyline UI is in English, but this text is showing up in Chinese? That is odd.

What version of Skyline are you using?

--Brendan

 
Brendan MacLean responded:  2018-10-28

Also, can you paste the actual text into your next response? I am not able to type Chinese from looking at an image of the text, and this makes it difficult for me to determine what the English text is supposed to be.

 
Brendan MacLean responded:  2018-10-28

Are you on a Chinese language operating system? The text ending in ?.0000+E0 looks suspiciously like it is generated by the operating system in some case like "Not a number" or "NaN" when the calculation is something like division by zero.

Are you really expecting to see valid calibration curves in your data for the Biognosys standards? Perhaps you are using "Ratio to heavy" as your normalization method, and these peptides lack a heavy precursor, resulting in division by zero.

I suppose we could be nicer about the messages we present in such cases, not relying on the operating system to generate a meaningful message.

That said, a bit more information about your situation and your operating systems would help.

--Brendan

 
user responded:  2018-10-29

Dear Brendan,

The text is “鏍″噯鍚庨潰绉細8.7874E+8” for “Quantification” and “鏂滅巼锛?.0000E+0” for calibration curve. These Chinese characters are also unreadable.

I am using a Chinese language operating system, but this problem also occur in other PCs in our group with English language operating systems. The default language of the installed Skyline in my PC is Chinese and I already changed it into to English.

Actually I did not use calibration curve in that Skyline file, I just report the unreadable codes in “calibration curve” of Peptide Quantification report.

If you need more information please inform me.

Kind regards,
Antony

 
Nick Shulman responded:  2018-10-29
Skyline is trying to show you the text "Slope: 1.0000E+0".
I do not know why it ends up looking the way it does. That looks similar to what you would get if a single-byte character encoding was interpreted as Unicode. I cannot think of any reason that a computer would do something like that.

Can you try exporting that report to .csv and attach that .csv file to this support request? I might find some clue in the .csv file about what is happening to those bytes.

Which version of Skyline or Skyline-Daily are you using?
-- Nick
 
Nick Shulman responded:  2018-10-29
I did not realize that you screenshots were not from Skyline. It looks like you must have specified the wrong character set when importing the data into your spreadsheet. I am not sure how that could happen, since it looks like the only thing with the wrong character set is everything in the Calibration Curve column except the first row. It must be that your spreadsheet is trying to guess the character set based on the text that it sees, and it is guessing wrong.

CSV files exported by Skyline are always encoded as UTF-8. Does your spreadsheet have a way of specifying what the file encoding? If you are using Microsoft Excel, then you should specify "UTF-8" for the File Origin in the Text Import Wizard.
-- Nick
 
user responded:  2018-10-30
Dear Nick,

I am using skyline 4.1.0.

I have attached the 2 .csv reports with unreadable codes. The other skyline reports have no unreadable codes.

Even I changed the language of Skyline into English, the titles of the Skyline reports are still in Chinese.

Kind regards,
Antony
 
Nick Shulman responded:  2018-10-30
Thanks for sending those files.

I think that what is happening is that when you export a report, for a few of the values, Skyline does not respect the setting in "Tools > Options > Language". That is, even though you have asked Skyline to use English as the display language, Skyline will still use your computer's language (Chinese) for the word "Slope" when writing out the .csv file.

The files that you attached should have meaningful Chinese characters in them, if you tell your spreadsheet that they are UTF-8.

That is, in "Peptide Ratio Results" it should say:
校准后面积
which is Chinese for "Normalized Area"

I am not sure what is wrong with the "Peptide Quantification" csv that you attached. When I look at that as a UTF-8 file, I correctly see the word for "Slope" (斜率), but the character that comes after that is messed up.

I will try to fix this in the next version of Skyline.
-- Nick