Senior Application Scientist (Proteomics/Translational Research)
Location San Jose, California, US Job ID: 196964BR
Interested job seekers can reach out to me for any follow up questions: Justin Chang - firstname.lastname@example.org
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with annual revenue of approximately $40 billion. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, increasing productivity in their laboratories, improving patient health through diagnostics or the development and manufacture of life-changing therapies, we are here to support them.
How you will make an impact:
We have an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated Application Scientist to join the Vertical Marketing group in the Proteomics department at Thermo Fisher Scientific. The candidate will have a leading role in developing new mass spectrometry-based tools and workflows for the translational proteomics market working within the mass spectrometry and chromatography business and in collaboration with other departments at Thermo Fisher Scientific.
The candidate will be part of a larger team improving and developing market leading instrumentation, software and consumables products and supporting the development efforts through from the application perspective. Critical to the role is the regular interaction with leading scientist in the field of proteomics and the assessment of market needs through VOC, sales and the broader marketing organization. The application scientist also provides internal and external training as well as customer support. This role liaises with product, application marketing peers, the marketing communications team for creation of marketing and sales collateral to support programs and drive campaigns.
What you will do:
• Day-to-day operation and support of LC-MS systems in the lab
• Design and execute experiments that translate instrument performance capabilities into scientifically meaningful data and results to demonstrate product value.
• Develop strategic application plans, generate laboratory applications data, create exemplary data examples, and perform product technology evaluations to support R&D and field sales.
• Perform market research, capture customer input (VOC) and emerging trends in the protein biomarker and translational markets, develop and maintain current competitive marketing information for review and response.
• Develop and publish application notes, generate and deliver application-related material for internal and external trainings.
• Ensure the above information is communicated to product marketing, sales, demo centers and R&E groups.
• Offer application support to Key Collaborators and customers when appropriate;
• Manage relationships with outside collaborators.
• Ability to travel 20 – 30%,
How you will get here:
• MS degree in science (chemistry, biology, or related discipline) with minimal 8 years of industrial experience or equivalent.
• PhD degree in Biochemistry, Chemical Biology, Structural Biology or a related discipline and experience in mass spectrometry-based proteomics, preferred
• Experience in operation, troubleshooting and maintenance of LCMS instrumentation, preferably Orbitrap instrumentation including Thermo Scientific hybrid, Thermo Scientific Tribrid Orbitrap mass spectrometers and HPLC/nanoUHPLC systems.
• Experience and operational knowledge of high throughput setups including liquid handlers and proteomics factories is desired, but not required.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
• Position may require Covid-19 vaccination, including a booster and/or routine testing, per client discretion. As a requirement to be onsite at Thermo Fisher Scientific this position requires vaccination status disclosure upon employment.
• Strong analytical and practical skills in protein or nucleic acid sample preparation, protein data analysis and interpretation.
• Ability to pick up new technologies quickly and ultimately troubleshoot independently
• Excellent communication skills in oral and written English
Our global team of more than 100,000 colleagues delivers an unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services, Patheon and PPD.