We are looking for an Associate Scientist to join the Mass Spectrometry group in the Protein Therapeutics department at Gilead Sciences. The successful candidate will be responsible for the analytical characterization of proteins and biologics by mass spectrometry.
The successful candidate is expected to conduct independent lab work and collaborate with other scientists and project teams. He or she should be able to think critically and troubleshoot complex scientific and technical issues while contributing to a team-work oriented environment to advance research projects. He or she should possess excellent protein mass spectrometry skills, knowledge of molecular biology techniques, and experience with software packages necessary for data analysis and reporting.
Functions and Responsibilities
- Characterize protein therapeutics by intact protein and subunit analysis mass spectrometry.
- Perform experiments to identify and characterize post translational modifications by peptide mapping mass spectrometry.
- Develop workflows and strategies to improve analysis and throughput.
- Calibrate and perform routine maintenance on LC/MS equipment.
- Document findings in electronic notebooks and lab protocols.
- Participate and present data at team meetings.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills
- Must have hands on experience with intact mass spectrometry and molecular characterization of protein therapeutics.
- Experience with molecular biology techniques such as SDS-PAGE, western blotting, HPLC, protein fractionation, and immunoprecipitation. (a plus)
- Experience in sample preparation for glycoprotein, antibody subunit and peptide mapping workflows.
- Experience operating and analyzing data from Agilent TOF/qTOF mass spectrometers is desirable. Knowledge of other mass spectrometry platforms is a plus.
- Experience maintaining and troubleshooting HPLCs and mass spectrometers (a plus)
- Experience with Protein Metrics Byos, MassHunter and Skyline. Experience with other mass spectrometry software packages is a plus. Proficient with Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to multi-task in an extremely dynamic environment while providing high-quality and detailed analytical support in a professional, pleasant, and tactful manner is a necessity.
- Strong communication & interpersonal skills are essential for success in this collaborative role.
- Minimum relevant industrial experience: Bachelor’s degree with 7+ years of experience or Master’s degree with 5+ years of experience. Job title will be commensurate with experience.
To apply, please visit this link: